Interview Prep Part 2: What to do once you land the Interview
They called you in for an interview.
8 Items to bring to your interview:
- Your Resume (and anything else HR requests)
- Wear a watch
- Class and Tact
- Happy eyes, and an enthusiastic attitude
8 Items to leave:
- Loud noises (if this is a phone interview)
- Obnoxious phone case with feathers and animal ears
- Strong cologne/perfume
- Tattoo sleeves and distracting piercings
- Gaudy jewelry (limit accessories to classy pieces for the ladies. Fellas- limit jewelry to a watch and a ring).
- Dirty finger nails or long colorful fingernails
- Your smell of stale cigarettes or other smoke (see previous blog about drugs).
After the Interview
- Send a Thank you note/email to the person(s) that interviewed you.
- Follow up in about a week (or whatever time frame they told you they would make a decision).
- Stay in prep mode- you may be called for a second or even third interview. Quickly respond to emails and return phone calls promptly.
*These tips should consistently be applied to interview situations*
Disclaimer: Many people argue that workplaces are trendy and welcome many of the things on the What To Leave list. This may be true for existing employees, but for candidates trying to gain employment; it’s better to air on the side that less is more.
Don't Forget To